Saturday, December 6, 2014

Day 21... On a Sea of Love and a Thankful Heart

 
I am humming a song from The Muppet Christmas Carol in my mind today...  It's always one of my favorite holiday movies, and extremely appropriate today.  First things first though...

Day 21
Saturday
  • Taking the afternoon out of a crazy busy week (Math benchmark, MAP assessments, new requirements for report cards, and a packed curriculum) to create some cute snowman art inspired by Pinterest (of course) and found/shared by my friend and co-worker Sarah.  How fortunate am I to have grade level colleagues that are so willing to share?  I am so grateful to both Denise and Sarah, couldn't ask for better.
  • My lovely, kind-hearted friend, Katie.  I admire and appreciate you.  Thank you for asking me to be your other "date" for the staff Christmas outing tonight, and thank you for your advice, friendship, and kindness.  I'm lucky to know you and call you friend.
  • Most of the gifts I ordered on-line have made it here safely even though they were not due until next week.  With all of the news reports and Home Association Facebook comments, I am grateful that our packages were still on the porch each day when I arrived home from work!
  • Waking up early to avoid the crowds, I was able to find a cute Frozen shirt and Complete Story Set for my adopt-a-family girl, a cool Ninja Turtles t-shirt and Lego set for one of the boys, and an awesome Batman shirt and Lego set for the little one who had "superhero stuff" on his list.  I am grateful that the doc included such a detailed list of their interests.  I was also able to pick up a few Elf on the Shelf treats for my class and some stocking stuffers for my two guys (yes, I am counting Bixby!).  I was home by nine o'clock a.m., drinking coffee and signing up for my January 2nd in-service classes with my Bixby snuggled up by my side.
This exercise has been good for me.  It has reminded me that each day there are things for which to be grateful.  Some days you have to look harder than others, but that makes them all the more precious.  I'd like to continue the practice, to appreciate things in my life, to notice those things and keep them in mind when things are going badly.  We make resolutions each New Years, but maybe appreciating what we have would make those resolutions unnecessary (or maybe not so necessary!).

"How precious life can be
With a thankful heart that is wide awake..."   Thanks, Scrooge!


No comments: