Monday, April 4, 2011

Frogs in Trees?






Last week's reading story was "Frog and Toad All Year," by Arnold Lobel.  There is a nonfiction selection directly following the story, called "Frogs in Trees?"  After reading the story, the students imagine they have discovered a frog that no one has ever seen before.  They cut frogs from cardstock and use brightly colored markers to design their frogs.  We then use the "Step Up to Writing" system to write about their frogs.   I give them a topic sentence suggestion, such as "I discovered a new frog!"   They must then add at least two details about their frogs, and then end with a wrap up sentence, such as "Clearly, my frog is amazing!"  Their paragraphs show hints of Spring Fever, unfortunately, but their frogs are colorful and creative! 

3 comments:

Jill said...

These are great. I love the idea!

jbales said...

I love how you folded the frog to make it look 3-D. Easy and creative, right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

Delighted said...

Love the frogs! I just found your blog & I'm your newest follower.


First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com